- Chicago, IL
- Finance - General
- Return to Work
- Pleasanton, CA
- Return to Work
What is the Research Software Engineering group?
The Research Software Engineering group is responsible for supporting the laboratory’s mission by developing cutting-edge research software. The group includes interdisciplinary staff with strong backgrounds in the methods of computational science and software engineering and a healthy contingent of postgraduate research associates. The group has successfully developed, deployed, and released projects in advanced manufacturing, advanced materials, astrophysics, fusion energy, geographical information systems, nuclear engineering, quantum communication, and quantum computing. The group’s success is predicated on its ability to work with stakeholders to identify key challenges, and to leverage existing ORNL tools and software, including engaging other members of the research staff to address open-research problems on projects.
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Deploy, maintain, and support applications, servers, and cloud development platforms in support of scientific projects across a wide range of languages, operating systems, and testing platforms.
- Support continuous integration/continuous deployment.
- Work closely with customers to meet their DevOps needs, address bugs, and achieve their scientific goals.
- Assist in the debugging of internal and external software as part of the deployment process.
- Document and improve the groups DevOps processes
- A minimum of a BS degree in computer science, software engineering, or related scientific discipline.
- 3+ years of experience in DevOps, software development, or otherwise supporting software developers in a professional setting, outside of BS Degree.
- Experience working with GitLab and GitHub for software development or supporting software developers.
- Experience using GitLab CI, Travis, Jenkins, or other CI/CD tools.
- Experience with Docker containers and virtualization technologies such as VirtualBox and Vagrant.
- Experience with Linux server administration for Red Hat Linux and Fedora, Bash, Python and other tools commonly used in DevOps tasks.
- MS or Ph.D. preferred.
- Demonstrated DevOps experience supporting scientific applications in computational science, engineering, computer science, or applied math.
- Excellent communication and writing skills.
- Prior experience developing or contributing to large, complex software projects.
- Experience deploying and maintaining version control, CI/CD, or virtualization environments.
- The ability to work on multiple projects at once with several teams using different project management techniques and with different timelines.
This position requires the ability to obtain and maintain a clearance from the Department of Energy. As such, this position is a Workplace Substance Abuse program (WSAP) testing designed position which requires passing a pre-placement drug test and participation in an ongoing random drug testing program in which employees are subject to being randomly selected for testing. The occupant of this position will also be subject to an ongoing requirement to report to ORNL any drug-related arrest or conviction or receipt of a positive drug test result.
An open source code sample that may be used for evaluation purposes will be required later in the application process. This sample should show an understanding of programming fundamentals and be written in a modern language. Samples which incorporate system utilities, API calls, or IO management are preferred. Please submit only code that belongs to you and code that is almost entirely (>95%) written by you. Ideally the code sample would be made available on GitHub or a similar sharing platform, although submissions by email are fine too.
Email firstname.lastname@example.org once you have applied for this opportunity—we are your foot in the door!
About Oak Ridge National Laboratory
Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL) is the United States Department of Energy’s largest science and energy laboratory tasked to provide the United States government agencies and departments with technology and expertise to support national and homeland security needs.
Our diverse capabilities span scientific and engineering disciplines, enabling the Laboratory to explore fundamental science challenges and to carry out the research needed to accelerate the delivery of solutions to the marketplace.
We invite applications for the position of DevOps Engineer within the Computer Science and Mathematics Division.
The Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL) Research Software Engineering (RSE) Group is seeking candidates to apply for the DevOps Engineer role. This role is responsible for the development of systems and tooling to support software engineering. DevOps Engineers within RSE will work with group members and external contributors to develop systems that build, test, and deploy software and integrate with internal and external services including popular cloud platforms and cutting-edge scientific resources.
ORNL Ethics and Conduct:
As a member of the ORNL scientific community, you will be expected to commit to ORNL’s Research Code of Conduct. Our full code of conduct, and a statement by the Lab Director’s office can be found here: https://www.ornl.gov/content/research-integrity
Benefits at ORNL:
UT Battelle offers an exceptional benefits package to include matching 401K, Pension Plan, Paid Vacation and Medical / Dental plan. Onsite amenities include Credit Union, Medical Clinic and free Fitness facilities.
Moving is stressful and expensive, and UT Battelle offers a wide range of relocation benefits for individuals and families to make it easier to come and work here. If you are invited to interview, please ask your Recruiter about relocating with ORNL.
***Remote working arrangements will be considered with this position.
MORE JOBS LIKE THIS
- New York, NY
- Human Resources
- Full Time
- Chicago Area
- Full Time
- Austin, Bellevue, Chicago, New York City, San Francisco
- Full Time