So for me summer is all about not cooking, unless it’s grilling (!), using the fewest pans possible to avoid clean up, and always something that goes well with a glass of wine…
And this is a great salad that you can pack for lunch or dinner, topped with some salty crunch that adds protein and deliciousness — roasted, salted chickpeas. These are addictive and can make for a good snack on the side that even your kids might like.
Have fun with this one — add the veggies you love to give it your own flair!
One head romaine lettuce
One half orange or yellow pepper
One green onion
One cup roasted chopped roasted chicken
One can roasted chickpeas
1. Prepare the chickpeas ahead of when you want to eat the salad. This will take about 30 minutes. This is my super simple summary of how to do this but check out TheKitchn’s recipe for added information and flavor ideas.
- Drain and rinse chickpeas.
- Spread these little guys out on a cookie sheet, toss with olive oil and add some salt.
- Bake for about 30 minutes @ 425 degrees. I cook mine longer to make them more crunchy.
2. Wash and chop lettuce and the veggies. Don’t be shy on veggies. Do you like carrots? Avocado? Tomatoes? They’ll all taste good with this salad!
3. If it’s just for you, toss it all in a bowl. If it’s for dinner or company, layer it all in nicely 🙂 Add the chicken.
4. Dress the salad with a drizzle of olive oil and lemon or your favorite vinaigrette.
5. Top with a handful or two of the roasted chickpeas for a protein packed crunch! You’ll have some left over for snacking.
Think one head of romaine per person. Double or triple up on the rest if serving more than one.
This salad stores nicely if you want to make it for dinner and then take some for lunch. Just set aside what you want to refrigerate and don’t dress or add the chickpeas until you’re ready to eat it.
What are your favorite summer time recipes?
Après is a career resource for women returning to work after a break or transitioning within the workforce. Reconnect with your professional self — search jobs, get inspired, find resources, and refresh your skills. Join our community of women helping women.