- Chicago, IL
- Finance - General
- Return to Work
- Pleasanton, CA
- Return to Work
What is the Research Software Engineering group?
The Research Software Engineering group is responsible for supporting the laboratory’s mission by developing cutting-edge research software. The group includes interdisciplinary staff with strong backgrounds in the methods of computational science and software engineering and a healthy contingent of postgraduate research associates. The group has successfully developed, deployed, and released projects in advanced manufacturing, advanced materials, astrophysics, fusion energy, geographical information systems, nuclear engineering, quantum communication, and quantum computing. The group’s success is predicated on its ability to work with stakeholders to identify key challenges, and to leverage existing ORNL tools and software, including engaging other members of the research staff to address open-research problems on projects.
Job Duties and Responsibilities
- Contribute to the development of open source software on scientific projects and original research.
- Deploy, maintain, and support web applications, servers, and cloud development platforms in support of scientific projects.
- Work closely with customers to meet their software requirements, address bugs, and achieve their scientific goals.
- A minimum of a BS degree and 3+ years of experience or an MS degree and 1+ years of experience. Your degree should be in physics, chemistry, computer science, or a related field.
- Previous experience with modern object-oriented programming languages including C++, Java or Python, outside of degree.
- Software development experience in computational science, engineering, computer science, or applied math.
- Experience with software development methodologies, such as version control systems like Git and Subversion and knowledge of UML.
- Excellent communication and writing skills
- The ability to work on a team in a dynamic group environment as the team meets daily, practices Continuous Integration, collaborates on the source code and has regular deadlines.
- Prior experience developing or contributing to large, complex software systems.
- Activity within the broader open-source software community would be looked upon favorably, but is not required.
- Regular presentations or tutorials at relevant conferences.
- A track-record in developing detailed documentation in multiple formats and experience with documentation generation using tools like Javadoc and Doxygen.
An open source code sample that may be used for evaluation purposes will be required during the application process. Your code sample should be related in some way to the subject of this post. It should be object-oriented, contain five or more classes, show a sophisticated understanding of the project and be your sole work to a very high degree (>95%). Samples in Fortran are not acceptable. Ideally the code sample would be made available on GitHub or a similar sharing platform, although submissions by email are fine too.
Email firstname.lastname@example.org once you have applied for this opportunity—we are your foot in the door!
About Oak Ridge National Laboratory
Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL) is the United States Department of Energy’s largest science and energy laboratory tasked to provide the United States government agencies and departments with technology and expertise to support national and homeland security needs.
Our diverse capabilities span scientific and engineering disciplines, enabling the Laboratory to explore fundamental science challenges and to carry out the research needed to accelerate the delivery of solutions to the marketplace.
We invite applications for the position of Research Software Engineer within the Computer Science and Mathematics Division.
ORNL Ethics and Conduct
As a member of the ORNL scientific community, you will be expected to commit to ORNL’s Research Code of Conduct. Our full code of conduct, and a statement by the Lab Director’s office can be found here: https://www.ornl.gov/content/research-integrity
Benefits at ORNL
UT Battelle offers an exceptional benefits package to include matching 401K, Pension Plan, Paid Vacation and Medical / Dental plan. Onsite amenities include Credit Union, Medical Clinic and free Fitness facilities.
Moving is stressful and expensive, and UT Battelle offers a wide range of relocation benefits for individuals and families to make it easier to come and work here. If you are invited to interview, please ask your Recruiter about relocating with ORNL.
***Remote working arrangements will be considered with this position.
***ORNL will not provide visa sponsorship for this position.
MORE JOBS LIKE THIS
- Philadelphia Area
- Part Time, Return to Work
- New York City, Dallas, Houston, Chicago
- Full Time, Flexible
- Chicago Area
- Full Time