Zurich Insurance is currently looking for a Senior Underwriter for our Group Accident Segment. The preferred location for this role is NY, NJ or PA. May also consider VA, West VA, Del, MA, or MD. This is a highly technical, position that will support Zurich’s growth initiatives within Accident & Health. As a member of Zurich’s Group Accident Underwriting Team you will enjoy the opportunity to fully apply and hone your underwriting and marketing skills. Specifically, you will underwrite and analyze new and renewal business utilizing The Zurich Way of Underwriting Framework within delegated authority levels.
Group Accident offers a portfolio of products designed to help protect against financial hardship resulting from accidental death, accidental injury unexpected illness and/or trip cancellation/travel inconvenience, including Business Travel Accident, Participant Accident, Student Accident, and Student Travel.
The position will have technical, transactional and market facing responsibilities; and it will also make contributions in the areas of product/proposition development, marketing, fulfillment and portfolio management.
Our Underwriters are responsible for:
• Generating, underwriting and analyzing Group Corporate Accident & Group Special Risk business
• Complying with underwriting rules and guidelines, insurance laws and regulations and rating manual rules
• Managing a portfolio of accounts
• Developing and maintaining agency and broker relationships
• Providing superior service to our broker partners and customers
• Working within broad limits and authorities on complex assignments
• Developing a pipeline of business
• Collaborating and cross selling with other stakeholders and lines of business within Zurich
• High School Diploma or Equivalent and 3 or more years of experience in the Underwriting or Market Facing area. For SURETY POSITIONS ONLY: OR Finance, Accounting or Banking experience
• High School Diploma or Equivalent and 6 or more years of experience in the Claims or Underwriting Support area
• Zurich Certified Insurance Apprentice including an Associate Degree and 1 or more years of experience in the Underwriting or Market Facing area
• Zurich Certified Insurance Apprentice including an Associate Degree and 4 or more years of experience in the Claims or Underwriting Support area
• Knowledge of line/s of business and the legal and regulatory guidelines
• Knowledge of time restraints for quotes on new and renewal business
• Experience with Microsoft Office
• High School Diploma or Equivalent and 5 or more years of experience in the Underwriting or Market Facing area
• High School Diploma or Equivalent and 10 or more years of experience in the Claims or Underwriting Support area
• Zurich Certified Insurance Apprentice including an Associate Degree and 3 or more years of experience in the Underwriting or Market Facing area
• Zurich Certified Insurance Apprentice including an Associate Degree and 8 or more years of experience in the Claims or Underwriting Support area
• Knowledge of Microsoft Office
• Experience working on time restraints for quotes on new and renewal business
• Experience working in a team environment
• Bachelor’s Degree
• Accident and Health underwriting experience
• Ability to effectively assess risk
• Strong broker relationships
• Superior skills in relationship building, active listening, needs analysis, and win-win negotiation.
• Possess a high level of customer service by meeting or exceeding broker and or customer expectations
• Excellent oral and written communication skills
• Strong knowledge of underwriting philosophy, techniques, national/local filing regulations and guideline
• Microsoft Office skills
Now is the time to move forward and make a difference. At Zurich, we want you to share your unique perspectives, experiences and ideas so we can grow and drive sustainable change together. As part of a leading global organization, Zurich North America has over 148 years of experience managing risk and supporting resilience. Today, Zurich North America is a leading provider of commercial property-casualty insurance solutions and a wide range of risk management products and services for businesses and individuals. We serve more than 25 industries, from agriculture to technology, and we insure 90% of the Fortune 500®. Our growth strategy is not limited to our business. As an employer, we strive to provide ongoing career development opportunities, and we foster an environment where voices are diverse, behaviors are inclusive, actions drive equity, and our people feel a sense of belonging. Be a part of the next evolution of the insurance industry. Join us in building a brighter future for our colleagues, our customers and the communities we serve. Zurich maintains a comprehensive employee benefits package for employees as well as eligible dependents and competitive compensation. Please click here to learn more.
As a global company, Zurich recognizes the diversity of our workforce as an asset. We recruit talented people from a variety of backgrounds with unique perspectives that are truly welcome here. Taken together, diversity and inclusion bring us closer to our common goal: exceeding our customers’ expectations. Zurich does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, ethnicity, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender expression, national origin, disability, protected veteran status or any other legally protected status. EOE disability/vet