Shopify has a new Blockchain team, it’s strategically important, and it’s growing.
gm frens. Shopify merchants are already selling NFTs on Shopify, and cryptocurrency payments have been possible for years, but now we have created a dedicated team to bring wallets and blockchains into commerce in a big way. The best brands already use Shopify for huge drops and flash sales of physical products, but what does this look like in a web3 world?
We’re going beyond NFT drops, into a world where web2 and web3 native tools help merchants, app developers and agencies create something new. We’re bringing the established world of physical commerce into the new world of crypto-native community, to help merchants and buyers play the infinite game of commerce. We love Ethereum, but we are also strongly committed to building in a way that lets merchants and app developers use many different blockchains to accept payments, sell NFTs, and power web3 applications.
This is a new team made up of experienced developers and product leaders who are deep into web3 and blockchain. Our team spans Europe and both coasts of North America.
- Investigate new ways to bring what blockchains make possible into the world of commerce.
- Provide our merchants with more options to accept payments.
- Empower crafters of the future of digital products to be able to easily sell their items to a wide audience.
- Build using web3 and blockchain tools and technologies.
- Build features that bring the power of web3, cryptocurrency and blockchain to our web and mobile merchant or buyer experiences.
- Build blockchain APIs and primitives for our third-party developers to use. We build platform-first, enabling the developer ecosystem to create things that we can’t even imagine.
- Ship impactful products that will be used by millions of merchants in 175 countries, and the buyers that shop at their stores.
- A proven track record of success in leading software development teams — strong technical mentorship is a must.
- Experience writing smart contracts in Solidity or other languages for Ethereum or other blockchains.
- Experience building web3 applications / dapps.
- Experience using cryptocurrency wallets and DeFi applications.
- A security-focused mindset and an understanding of the security issues that are unique to blockchain development.
- Experience using technologies and frameworks like (but not limited to) some of our most-used languages – Ruby on Rails, GraphQL, Java/JEE, Node.js, PHP, Python, React or React Native, Golang, Kubernetes – or deep experience with any object-oriented language and relevant transferable technologies.
- A passion for efficiency and collaboration, with a history of establishing great relationships across UX, Product Management, Product Marketing, Data, and SEO teams distributed across multiple time zones.
- A commitment and drive for quality, technical excellence and results.
- Curiosity and passion to constantly learn new things; Shopify changes fast, and we need the people who work here to be able to change and learn fast too.
Shopify is a leading global commerce company, providing trusted tools to start, grow, market, and manage a retail business of any size. Shopify makes commerce better for everyone with a platform and services that are engineered for reliability, while delivering a better shopping experience for consumers everywhere. Shopify powers millions of businesses in more than 175 countries and is trusted by brands such as Allbirds, Gymshark, PepsiCo, Staples, and many more.
Shopify is now permanently remote, and we’re working towards a future that is digital by design. That location you see above? Consider it merely an example of hundreds of potential locations Shopify is hiring. Learn more here: https://www.shopify.com/careers/work-anywhere
Our belief is that a strong commitment to diversity & inclusion enables us to truly make commerce better for everyone. We encourage applications from Indigenous peoples, racialized people, people with disabilities, people from gender and sexually diverse communities, and/or people with intersectional identities. Please take a look at our Sustainability Reports to learn more about Shopify’s commitments to our communities, and our planet.
At Shopify, we understand that experience comes in many forms. We’re dedicated to adding new perspectives to the team – so if your experience is this close to what we’re looking for, please consider applying.