Senior Software Engineer
Carbon Black is now part of VMware. As a standalone company, Carbon Black established itself as a leader in the endpoint security space. The product portfolio includes the rapidly growing Carbon Black Cloud platform that delivers next-generation endpoint protection capabilities from the cloud. Now with the full resources of VMware, you have the opportunity to make an impact and build upon Carbon Black’s success.
We’re looking for a Senior Software Engineer to join the Developer Relations team that enables customers to integrate the Carbon Black Cloud products into their environment. The Developer Relations team enables customers to do more with VMware Carbon Black by building integrations, promoting API usage and cultivating a thriving ecosystem of developers. The starting point for engineers wanting to integrate their product or environment with Carbon Black Cloud is the Developer Network.
Your role will include being a developer advocate to cultivate internal and external communities, creating and supporting custom integrations and supporting advanced customers and partners to build applications that leverage our data and capabilities. The ideal candidate is someone who understands both security stacks and software engineering. Strong communication skills are a must, as this position involves equal parts development, information delivery, and collaborating with internal and external stakeholders.
- Promote the integration capabilities and grow the developer community through virtual and physical conferences – be an evangelist for integration with Carbon Black products.
- Show off new integration capabilities to the community to build excitement and knowledge.
- Join a growing agile development team with staff in multiple countries and participate in all phases of the software development lifecycle.
- Lead development of new integrations for strategic partnerships between VMware Carbon Black and other products, both within VMware and external.
- Lead development of the Carbon Black Python Bindings, a library that enables use of the APIs through a python library.
- Mentor and lead engineering staff (3 currently – growing) to develop technical expertise, quality engineering practices and engagement with other teams.
- Build example code of how to use the APIs in interesting ways.
- Engage with platform architects to influence API design such that it serves integration scenarios well.
- Lead team initiatives to drive quality engineering practices.
- Participate in all phases of the software development cycle as part of a Scrum team.
- Plan the technology base to use the latest tools and frameworks for best performance, considering costs and scale.
- Collaborate with product management, engineering and customer facing teams to deliver the right solutions.
- Passion for software development as a craft and ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment where the focus is on value delivered, not tasks completed.
- 5+ years experience in designing and delivering commercial software products.
- Expert level programming capability in Python and at least one other language.
- Proficient in open source platforms and technologies, including using GitHub for sharing open source code, continuous integration and testing platforms, and automated build/deployment systems.
- Experience creating RESTful APIs and setting standards.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, demonstrated in the ability to accurately and concisely distill complex technical details into appropriate communication modes for stakeholders ranging from peer developers through support to marketing teams.
- Excellent problem solving and troubleshooting skills.
- Experience with security stack use cases and integrations is highly desirable.
- Ability to troubleshoot issues live with partners and customers.
- Able to work effectively and efficiently in a decentralized, remote work environment.
We encourage applicants to highlight in their application what they would bring to the Carbon Black Developer Relations team and why it’s an exciting opportunity.
Not seeing what you are looking for? Explore all of our jobs >>
You and your loved ones will be supported with a competitive and comprehensive benefits package. Below are some highlights, or you can view the complete benefits package by visiting www.benefits.vmware.com.
- Employee Stock Purchase Plan
- Medical Coverage, Retirement, and Parental Leave Plans for All Family Types
- Generous Time Off Programs
- 40 hours of paid time to volunteer in your community
- Rethink’s Neurodiversity program to support parents raising children with learning or behavior challenges, or developmental disabilities
- Financial contributions to your ongoing development (conference participation, trainings, course work, etc.)
- Healthy and local inspired snacks in all our pantries
At VMware, we believe that software has the power to unlock new opportunities for people and our planet. We look beyond the barriers of compromise to engineer new ways to make technologies work together seamlessly. Our compute, cloud, mobility, networking and security offerings form a digital foundation that powers the apps, services and experiences that are transforming the world.
Since our founding over two decades ago, our 24,000+ employee community and ecosystem of 75,000 partners have been behind the technology innovations transforming entire industries – from banking, healthcare, and government to retail, telecommunications, manufacturing, and transportation.
Every day, we work to solve our customers’ toughest challenges through disruptive technologies like edge computing, artificial intelligence, blockchain, machine learning, Kubernetes and more – to define the digital foundation that will accelerate the next wave of innovation.