Shopify is on a fast-moving mission to make the best products for merchants, buyers, and partners around the globe — and developers play a vital role in building that future. Here are just some of the stories from the engineering teams who build and scale Shopify.
What does Mobile Development mean at Shopify?
Our Mobile Engineers work along with designers and product managers to build and launch new features for our apps. You’ll work on large-scale apps that are ever-changing, enabling entrepreneurship for hundreds of thousands of entrepreneurs. Our Mobile teams default to using React Native, but drop to native when it makes sense, so openness to learn cross-platform mobile development is a must!
What you’ll do as a Senior Mobile Software Engineer at Shopify:
- Collaborating with other designers and engineers
- Creating beautiful and fast code that improves our code base in meaningful ways
- Using test-driven development to write well-tested code
- Fixing bugs fast and taking your time to solve hard problems well
- Contributing back to the open source community
Experience and skills that are important for success in this role:
- Experience using technologies and frameworks like (but not limited to) some of our most-used languages — Ruby on Rails, GraphQL, Java/JEE, Kotlin, Swift, React or React Native — is an asset, but not required. Don’t have experience with many of them? No problem — deep experience with any relevant transferrable technologies and willingness to learn our tech stack goes a long way. (Also: Check out our Stackshare)
- Curiosity and passion to constantly learn new things; Shopify changes fast, and we need the people who work here to be able to change and learn fast too
- Experience with relational databases and SQL
- Bonus Points: You’ve mentored teammates on new ways to deepen their technical craft