Mechanical Design Engineer (Mid-Level and Above)
This role requires at least 50% onsite presence at our Oakland, CA location.
Freight trucking is responsible for 3X more emissions than all other commercial vehicle types combined in the US, and has demonstrated very rapid customer adoption once unit economics are proven. Jaro seeks to deliver a critical enabling technology for this industry to electrify.
Working at Jaro means not only tackling this enormous source of greenhouse gas emissions and urban air pollution, but also redefining how climate startups treat their employees.
As a Mechanical Design Engineer at Jaro, you will design and build high-performance, high-power mechanical systems for a novel vehicle charging technology poised to transform the electric semi-trucking industry. You will work as part of a small team of talented engineers developing critical enabling technologies, demonstrating breakthrough performance characteristics, and preparing the design for production. These contributions are foundational for Jaro’s growth as we work to address a $20B emerging market and a huge, unresolved source of climate emissions and urban pollution.
Level of job title can vary based on skills and experience.
Compensation and Benefits
- Transparent, equitable, and market-competitive compensation package, including salary and stock options with extended exercise windows
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance with premiums covered at 100% for employees and 75% for dependents
- Paid parental leave for all employees
- Unlimited vacation policy with 3 weeks encouraged, plus additional company time off around winter holidays
- Discretionary funds for self care, professional development, and community relationship building
- Flexible WFH policy within the needs of the role.
What you’ll do:
- Model, design, test, build, and produce a mechanical system for a novel, high-power EV charging system.
- Influence overall system design to deliver superior performance in rough environments with high reliability.
- Deliver system designs optimized across multiple dimensions including safety, cost, environmental compliance, industrial packaging, manufacturing and assembly, reliability, availability, and product performance.
- Lead early product production with a focus on Design for Manufacturing & Assembly and supply chain development.
- Contribute to and execute against an engineering roadmap that manages technical risks and produces high-value deliverables on schedule.
- Collaborate with other engineering specializations to ensure safe and optimized system design and functionality.
- Contribute to early team culture, strategy, and organization for the Engineering team and the broader Jaro team.
What you’ll bring:
- At least 3 years of relevant, professional work experience.
- Experience designing, testing, and building mechanical systems, including component design, system optimization, industrial safety, and/or regulatory compliance.
- Product design experience from prototype to production, with a focus on later stage DFM/DFA and NPI.
- Experience designing to standards such as UL, FCC, IEC, etc.
- Extensive experience with 3D design software (Creo, NX, SW, Inventor, etc), and a strong opinion on the best methods for master modeling.
- Think creatively and opportunistically to solve unusually hard problems efficiently.
- Think clearly about technical risks and how to manage them.
- Value diverse ideas, backgrounds, and problem-solving strategies.
- Communicate effectively to share learnings and make clear decisions.
- Thrive in a nimble, small-team environment with significant individual autonomy.
It looks like we are looking for a lot, but what we really need are good passionate people. If you feel like you can contribute to Jaro, you’re encouraged to apply even if your experience doesn’t precisely match the job description. We welcome diverse perspectives and backgrounds, and your skills might be a great fit for this or other roles!
About Jaro Fleet Technologies
About Jaro Fleet Technologies
Jaro Fleet Technologies exists to accelerate the widespread adoption of electric semi-trucks. Founded by an experienced electric vehicle expert (Apple SPG, 3 startups, MIT, Stanford) and well-capitalized by top-tier venture capital firms (Pale Blue Dot, Lerer-Hippeau, Box Group), Jaro Fleet Technologies is developing a breakthrough charging technology and highly-scalable customer acquisition model to rapidly electrify the fastest growing segment of US freight trucking.
Jaro Fleets is a Public Benefit Corporation in which each employee has rights to protect the company’s mission, has an annual vote on CEO performance, and is empowered to prevent workplace discrimination. By inviting diverse, passionate employees to thrive in a more equitable organizational model, Jaro seeks to demonstrate a better way to solve climate.
Join Jaro’s team to help us build this vision.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all our employees and are seeking to build a team that reflects the diversity of the people we hope to serve with our products. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer.