The City and County of San Francisco, Department of Technology (DT), is seeking an experienced Linux Sysops Infrastructure Support Engineer work with existing team in Accessing and Planning for the migration of virtual and physical hardware environments from multiple City department’s managed infrastructure to centrally managed CCSF infrastructure.
- The primary responsibility of the Linux SysOps Support Engineer will be the effective operation, maintenance and administration of Linux VMs & associated subsystems.
- The Linux SysOps Support Engineer is responsible for production scheduling and control, reports distribution, service level support, backup, recovery, capacity and disaster recovery planning, installation/configuration operations & maintenance of systems hardware and software on but not limited to a private cloud infrastructure.
- The Linux SysOps Support Engineer is responsible for administering, managing, provisioning, template creation of virtual servers running various operating systems including multiple Linux variations and Windows VMs.
- The Linux SysOps Support Engineer must possess knowledge and necessary skills and understanding of automation tools and scripting languages.
- Provide technical knowledge and configuration of Linux and Windows OS
- In this position the incumbent must have the ability to determine, plan & understand the complexities of enterprise systems, networking components & requirements to plan for or enhance the needs of the Linux system & associated subsystems and network.
- Solve problems with minimal disruption to the system or network.
- Exercise judgment, decisiveness and creativity in designing, planning, troubleshooting and integration of the complex systems based on the potential benefits and/or consequences.
- Develop alternative solutions within established guidelines and standards.
- Communicate effectively orally and in writing.
- Establish good working relationships with other IS professionals, vendors, management and departments.
- Read and understand professional journals, manuals and literature; and prioritize competing requests for service.
- The 1043 Linux SysOps Support Engineer assignments are in a highly technical area, will support the systems located in multiple data centers which support a large enterprise computing environment.
- This is a (24×7) days operation Center and support is extremely needed for projects and on-going support.
- The Linux SysOps Support Engineer will provide functional and technical expertise; develop and/or modify procedures to solve engineered systems & associated sub-system issues; perform multiple software functions and support other various hardware platforms.
- The Linux SysOps Support Engineer is responsible for assisting in the management, administering & supporting of Public Cloud Infrastructure (GCP, AWS, Azure)
An associate degree in computer science or a closely related field from an accredited college or university OR its equivalent in terms of total course credits/units [i.e., at least sixty (60) semester or ninety (90) quarter credits/units with a minimum of twenty (20) semester or thirty (30) quarter credits/units in computer science or a closely-related field].
Three (3) years of experience analyzing, installing, configuring, enhancing, and/or maintaining the components of an enterprise network.
License and Certification:
Additional experience as described above may be substituted for the required degree on a year-for-year basis (up to a maximum of two (2) years). One (1) year is equivalent to thirty (30) semester units/ forty-five (45) quarter units with a minimum of 10 semester / 15 quarter units in computer science or a closely related field.
- Must be self-motivated with time management skills
- Senior engineer level understanding of Unix/Linux Operating Systems: Red Hat, Solaris, CentOS
- Virtualization: VMware
- Storage: Network Appliance, EMC, Pillar
- Strong SAN, NAS knowledge
- Hands-on Experience with Hardware – Not afraid to get hands dirty in debugging and fixing System and Infrastructure Problems
- Automation of Routine Tasks via scripts, tools and technology to simplify system management and troubleshooting
- Solid knowledge of networking technologies and concepts, Routing Protocols, DNS, SMTP, HTTP, SFTP
- Strong technical aptitude and ability to research and solve complex issues independently
- Ability to effectively communicate updates, issues and resolutions to all levels of the organization
- Solid understanding of Sever/Application deployment techniques, methodologies, and tools
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills (emphasis on documentations
- 3-5 Years related experience
- Advanced knowledge of Unix installations, upgrades and troubleshooting.
- Sr Level knowledge of Public Cloud infrastructure primarily in AWS and GCP.
About SAN FRANCISCO DEPARTMENT OF TECHNOLOGY
Why Work for the Department of Technology (DT)? The Department of Technology (DT) is the centralized technology services provider in CCSF. We deliver technology infrastructure and services to approximately 33,000 employees! With an annual operating budget of over $140M and approximately 260 employees, DT provides a host of services that includes:
People-Centered Solutions: Working for San Francisco, you can have a powerful, meaningful effect on the community every day. When we solve problems, people are the heart of every solution!
Benefits of Working for CCSF: In addition to challenging and rewarding work, the City provides a generous suite of benefits to its employees.
- Job security, pension, and robust retirement options
- Competitive pay with consistent bi-yearly or yearly increases
- Generous paid time off, family leave, and more!
- Diverse work environment in a diverse city
- Union protections and representation
- Career development and growth — move between departments, learn on the job, or take subsidized/reimbursed classes!
CLOSING THE DIGITAL DIVIDE — bring the benefits of the internet to low-income and marginalized residents!
SHINE A LIGHT ON WHAT MATTERS — join an award-winning production team at SFGovTV to help residents watch legislators or learn more about what makes this City great!
DRIVE INNOVATION — deliver new, cutting-edge technology to residents and city partners to help San Francisco serve its residents!