Youth To The People (YTTP) is looking to grow our multifaceted team. We are looking for a highly efficient, experienced, and goal-oriented Director of Sourcing & Package Engineering who thrives in a fast-paced startup environment. Our ideal candidate will help develop, implement and test package design requirements for global package development and engineering. You are responsible for finished packaging and product implementation, as well as liaising with outside manufacturers to commercialize products. The essential job duties, knowledge, skills, and abilities listed below are required.
- Act as a liaison with internal and external parties on matters relating to the procurement of new packaging, including international requirements and regulatory changes.
- Communicate clearly (verbally and in writing) with packaging suppliers to obtain capability, pricing, lead times, specifications, and samples as needed by the marketing and development team.
- Analyze and solve issues with packaging and production processes and share findings, potential solutions and timing with impacted business units.
- Responsible for the approval of Engineering Drawings, Specification Packets (BOM’s, components, finished products) and BluePrints for all New and Duplicate molds and tooling.
- Responsible for performing compatibility testing, drop test, vibrations test, rub tests, dispense test and all applicable tests associated with new product launches. Evaluates all packaging testing for final release.
- Directly responsible for initiating and managing all on-site inspections for first article runs and packaging trials, based on approved standards for packaging and finished goods. Establish target/min/max range boards.
- Manage all Packaging Specifications, including fill capacities, headspace requirements, filling process tolerances and package weight claim, as well as coordinate subsequent changes for internal and external distribution.
- Review and approve artwork, finished product specification.
- Responsible for the execution of CQV (Commissioning, Qualification and Verification) process for finished goods, including performing in-depth technical analyses on packaging components to insure the final quality of the finished package.
- Explore, identify, qualify and implement new packaging technologies to improve products’ perceived value, performance, quality and/or cost and profitability.
- Manage packaging quality issues with Quality, Supply Chain and Suppliers, including troubleshooting components discrepancies and making recommendations to insure timely and cost effective solutions.
- Create all QA samples and kit standards for retail markets, distribution centers and execute any required changes.
- Manage complex projects and deliver innovative packaging solutions within the appropriate timelines.
- Work closely with operations manager to establish cost improvement programs with manufacturers and vendors;
- Provide Package Development support on vendor-rating programs with Supply Chain.
- Work closely with Managers to communicate new packaging introductions, changes, quality control issues and test results with internal and external vendors.
- Review all Bill of Materials and any subsequent changes, as needed.
- Work closely with the Quality team to identify, review and execute Packaging SOPs.
- Weekly packaging development updates with the team.
- Additional duties may be assigned.
- Ability to work overtime if required
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, detail-oriented with excellent follow-through abilities, ability to work in a fast paced environment and efficiently work with vendors and internal departments while prioritizing workload.
- Equipment Operation – Computer skills (Microsoft Office – Word, Excel, PowerPoint, E-mail), knowledge of CAD Engineering, use of calipers, micrometers, torque gauge, vacuum chamber.
- Travel – Domestic and International travel, up to 30%.
- Education – Required: Bachelor’s degree in Industrial Engineering, Package Engineering, Management, or related field; advanced degree desirable.
- 12+ year’s industry experience in sourcing packaging components and services, minimum 7+ years experience as a Packaging Engineer, preferable in the Beauty/Personal Care industry.
- Technical expertise and aesthetic sense for all cosmetic and skincare packaging.
- Strong vendor relationships.
- Qualified to conduct all appropriate engineering and feasibility tests for new product packaging for skin care and color cosmetics.
- Broad knowledge of cosmetic manufacturing with all related expertise (i.e.) prerequisites to approve contract vendor use, cost of goods development, filling lines, packaging, MRP systems, inventory control, FDA Certification requirements, and worldwide regulations.
About Youth To The People
Benefits and YTTP Culture
- This position is salaried and full-time.
- YTTP is a lively group that values team bonding, enthusiasm, and free thinking. We’re open-minded and constantly collaborating.
- The YTTP culture is tight-knit, fast-moving, and fun. We’re family-owned, and our team is an extension of that family.
- We seek high performers, hard-workers and humble attitudes.