Managers at Detroit Labs
As manager at Detroit Labs, you create a role team experience that enables development and productivity of Developer team members, and highlights the value that Detroit Labs brings to our clients.
Managers interact with projects at meaningful points to provide leadership and coaching in a client-visible way. You help scale and improve Developer team function, and influence organizational processes to better serve Detroit Labs’ team members and clients. You work with others in the organization to promote user focus, team member engagement and development, and work fulfillment. You set goals, solicit a wide array of ideas, and move thoughtfully towards actions and outcomes.
Supported by our people-first vision and guided by the needs of our clients, you will create a mission and direction for the team, provide meaningful project support, manage sustainable growth, and be responsible for overall team effectiveness and health.
On an average day you may:
- Establish a vision and goals for the Developer team that supports Detroit Labs’ company vision and goals, and generates a renewed client focus for all Services team members
- Understand client needs and align team member goals with those needs for increased engagement and purpose
- Provide useful and consistent feedback for team members – mentoring or coaching on feedback, process, and tools
- Sponsor and advocate for high potential team members who may not have the confidence to raise their hand and volunteer for special projects or growth opportunities
- Interact with projects at meaningful stages to provide leadership, strategy, and coaching in a client-visible way
- Create a consistent 1:1 meeting schedule with team members, and maintain detailed notes and action items from those meetings. Document, track, and hold team members accountable to personal and project goals, with actionable steps and progress indicators
- Provide direct, actionable, and consistent feedback and support for team members who are struggling to meet expectations
- Recognize and publicly celebrate teams and team members who embody our values and achieve desired outcomes aligned with our vision
- Enthusiastically participate in recruiting, interviewing, and hiring of team members at all stages in their careers
- Promote a fun, highly collaborative team culture that fosters inclusivity
Interest, Skills, and Responsibilities We Look For:
- 5+ years of project team experience, or evidence of heavy involvement or leadership in several complex projects
- 1 or more years of experience in coaching, servant leadership, or people development experience (or relevant areas of experience)
- Excel in a high-transparency role, and create a supportive and positive environment where team members and clients can bravely voice concerns and fears
- Natural client advocate, with a track record understanding the unique boundaries of working with a client, and helping a team find success within those boundaries
- Solution-oriented, transparent, and self-aware
- Empathetic, caring and honest. Provides thoughtful and direct coaching in a mature and confidential manner
- Resilient. Comes back stronger, wiser, and more personally powerful
- Record of engaging in up front and direct communication and behavior
- Advocate for, and be an example of Detroit Labs’ cultural values
We are an equal opportunity employer and a diverse, equitable, inclusive company that values intersectionality. As such we are anti-discrimination and respect the multitude of ways our team members differ. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.Detroit Labs sponsors qualified applicants for work visas. You will have to provide documentation that establishes your identity and work authorization upon acceptance of an offer and also for re-verification purposes.
About Detroit Labs
About Detroit Labs
Detroit Labs was founded in 2011, and has built some of the most popular apps for iPhone and Android. We’re always taking on new projects in mobile, web, and opportunities in new technologies. Our mission is to be a people first company; a diverse and inclusive workplace; and a place not afraid to try new things. Our passion for people and teams extends to our Apprenticeship and OnSite programs, through which we educate and help guide the careers of the next generation of software developers. Detroit Labs has over 100 employees with offices and investment in Detroit and Ann Arbor.