Shopify is on a purposeful mission to make the best products for merchants, buyers, and partners around the globe — and developers play a vital role in building that future. Here are just some of the stories from the engineering teams who build and scale Shopify.
The Shopify Fulfillment Network (SFN) is all about figuring out the best way to get shipments into Shopify buyers’ hands-on behalf of merchants. We solve problems like dynamically balancing the geographical distribution of inventory and order allocation to optimize speed & cost, modeling the whole logistic and supply chain domain for simplicity and extensibility as well as crafting beautiful APIs to provide a network aware layer between Shopify and our partner nodes and their systems.
What types of Senior Software Engineers might be interested in joining?
Back End Development
Back End Engineers with a passion for solving tough problems with performant code work on teams that ship on quality instead of on time. Our teams deploy new code many times a day. Entrepreneurs will see your work within seconds – a difficult but incredibly rewarding responsibility. Shopify is the largest Ruby on Rails application in the world and we’re a big part of the Rails community.
Front End Development
Front End Development exists across all of Shopify, from Product to Marketing, working closely with the teams that create performant experiences and communicate Shopify’s impact on commerce to a global audience. You may also collaborate with our Data and SEO teams, helping us make data informed decisions and driving additional new merchant acquisition. You might focus on creating thoughtful interfaces for our users, shaping our design language, and contributing to our shared component libraries in a maintainable and scalable way.
Full Stack Development
Many of our developers enjoy working across the stack. Crafting React code in the morning, designing a backend sidekiq job in the afternoon and tweaking some GraphQL mutation in between 🙂
- Collaborating with product managers, designers, data scientists, and other engineers
- Creating beautiful and fast code that improves our code base in meaningful ways
- Using test-driven development to write well-tested code
- Fixing bugs fast and taking your time to solve hard problems well
- Create and communicate technical designs
- Seize the opportunity to contribute back to the open source community
- Mentor and be mentored by other developers
- Lead cross-functional project teams
- Contribute to building a positive team culture
- Experience using technologies and frameworks like (but not limited to) some of our most-used languages — Ruby on Rails, GraphQL, Java/JEE, Node.js, PHP, Python, React or React Native, Golang, Kubernetes — is an asset, but not required. Don’t have experience with many of them? No problem — deep experience with any object-oriented language and willingness to learn our tech stack goes a long way. (Also: Check out our StackShare here.)
- Experience working with cross-disciplinary teams in an Agile environment
- Curiosity and passion to constantly learn new things; Shopify changes fast, and we need the people who work here to be able to change and learn fast too
Experience with relational databases and SQL
- You’ve mentored teammates on new ways to deepen their technical craft
- Participation in creating a positive team culture of collaboration and learning
Shopify is a leading global commerce company, providing trusted tools to start, grow, market, and manage a retail business of any size. Shopify makes commerce better for everyone with a platform and services that are engineered for reliability, while delivering a better shopping experience for consumers everywhere. Shopify powers millions of businesses in more than 175 countries and is trusted by brands such as Allbirds, Gymshark, PepsiCo, Staples, and many more.
Shopify is now permanently remote, and we’re working towards a future that is digital by design. That location you see above? Consider it merely an example of hundreds of potential locations across North America where Shopify is hiring. Learn more here: https://www.shopify.com/careers/work-anywhere
Our belief is that a strong commitment to diversity & inclusion enables us to truly make commerce better for everyone. We encourage applications from Indigenous peoples, racialized people, people with disabilities, people from gender and sexually diverse communities, and/or people with intersectional identities. Please take a look at our Sustainability Reports to learn more about Shopify’s commitments to our communities, and our planet.
At Shopify, we understand that experience comes in many forms. We’re dedicated to adding new perspectives to the team – so if your experience is this close to what we’re looking for, please consider applying.